Friday, July 8, 2011

Orange Poppy Seed Muffins

There is something about sitting down with a cup of tea and a really good muffin.  It is the epitome of comfort.



This muffin recipe is perfect!  I would not change a thing.  It is moist, full of flavor, and a perfect balance of sweetness.  Not that I should be surprised, everything I have made from Tate's Bake Shop Cookbook has been perfection!  If you haven't added this cookbook to your collection, add it to your Amazon cart, now!



I definitely enjoyed one with my tea and yes it was a better day because of it.  Ok, ok, ok I had two!


Orange Poppy Seed Muffins
from Tate's Bakeshop Cookbook

1 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1/4 tsp of salt
1/2 cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup of sugar
2 large eggs, separated
1 TBS of orange zest
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of buttermilk
2 TBS of poppy seeds

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Line 9 muffin cups with paper liners.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy.  Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well have each addition.  Beat in the orange zest and vanilla.  Add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternatively to the butter mixture, finishing with the flour mixture.  Fold in the poppy seeds.  Beat the egg whites to soft peaks and fold them into the batter.  Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them to the top.

Bake them 20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness - would you believe that just last night, I was thinking about lemon poppyseed muffins and wondering if it would work with orange? Now I really need to try these out!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!