Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Asparagus and Quinoa Salad



The recipe for Asparagus and Quinoa Salad hit so many flavor points for me that I HAD to make it.  I have been consistently inspired by Jacquelyn.  Her blog, So Good and Tasty, is one of my favorites!

It is no secret that I love asparagus.  I also know that adding it to a dish will ensure that my family will enjoy it too.  I see this as a win-win.


I made this salad early in the week and enjoyed it for lunch for a couple days.  It makes a perfect mid-day meal with the protein from the quinoa and egg.  The lemon dressing finishes this salad so well.


Asparagus and Quinoa Salad
by Jacquelyn Scoggin

2 large eggs
1 cup dried quinoa, rinsed well 
2 cups water
1/2 pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 clove garlic, minced
Juice of one lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 bunch chives, chopped, about 1/4 cup total
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped

Hard boil the eggs: Prepare a bowl of ice water to transfer the eggs once they've cooked. Place the eggs into a saucepan and cover with about 1/2-inch cool water. Bring to a boil, then turn off heat and cover for 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer the eggs to the ice water.
Place the quinoa in a saucepan with 2 cups water. Bring to a rapid boil, then place lid on top and reduce heat to low. Lightly simmer the quinoa for 15 minutes, then remove from heat and fluff with fork. Place the quinoa in a large serving bowl to cool slightly.
To cook the asparagus, bring a pot of water to boil. Add in the asparagus and cook for 2 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to prevent further cooking. Add asparagus and chives to the cooked quinoa, stirring to combine.
Meanwhile, prepare the dressing: Place the garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt into a small bowl and whisk together. Pour over the quinoa mixture, stirring to coat everything. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Chop the hard boiled eggs into bite-size pieces. Toss the eggs with the walnuts and quinoa mixture. Serve.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Liz, I'm so glad you and your family loved this salad! I'm thinking I need to make it again before asparagus season is over!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!