Monday, May 30, 2011

Fennel Orange Salad

This is a dish that I look forward to every spring.  Just as the fennel is coming into season and Florida oranges are on their way out.  It is incredibly elegant and light.  I think it gets better after a day or so in the refrigerator.  


My husband is not a fan of fennel so I make a small salad for myself.  I just love it!
























Fennel Orange Salad

2 small fennel bulbs thinly sliced
3 celery stalks, thinly slices
3 oranges, segmented
juice from the 3 oranges
1 TBS of fresh dill, chopped
1 TBS of fresh chives, chopped
1 TBS of olive oil
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of black pepper

Chop the fennel and celery first and add them to a medium bowl.  Then segment the oranges over the bowl.  Squeeze the skins after segmenting each orange to capture all the juice.  Gently stir in the chives, dill, salt, pepper, and olive oil.  Refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. i don't eat fennel near enough. it sounds so good with those bright flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so like the idea of that salad. I can taste the licorace essence of fennel with the bright burst of orange - oh! I bet that is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a refreshing spring salad. Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!