Thursday, May 26, 2011

Brown Rice Salad with Corn and Feta

I recently saw this recipe for a Grilled Chicken Salad with Corn, Feta, and Blueberries.  I was so intrigued by the flavors but couldn't bring myself to make the dressing from the recipe.  I became convinced that I could use this inspiration to make a healthy side dish.


I am so proud of the result.  I honestly believe that you can take most recipes and make them much more healthy while still using real food.  This recipe pairs great with any grilled meats. I hope your family likes it, mine did!

Brown Rice Salad with Corn and Feta

1 cup of uncooked brown rice
2 1/4 cups of water
salt
1 cup of corn kernels
1/2 pint of  blueberries
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
3 celery stalks, finely chopped
2 TBS of dill, chopped
3oz of crumbled Feta
1 TBS of real mayonnaise
Juice of one lemon
2 TBS of1% milk

Combine the water, rice, and 1/4 tsp of salt in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil, stir and cover.  Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the water is absorbed.  Set aside to cool.
In a medium bowl, combine the corn, blueberries, red onion, celery, dill, and feta.  Stir well.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, and milk.  Pour over the corn mixture.  Then stir in the rice.  Season to taste.  Chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.  Serve chilled.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!