Sunday, November 14, 2010

Spicy Roasted Brussels Sprouts


I did not grow up eating brussels sprouts.  They actually used to be on my do-not eat list but they kept popping up and I was convicted to try them.  My first preparation was last Thanksgiving, where even my Father enjoyed them even though he is not typically a fan.  I, however, was convinced that this vegetable would be making an appearance on my table much more often.

I saw this recipe on one of my favorite blogs, White on Rice Couple.  The flavors used with the brussels sprouts were new and unique so I added it to my menu plan.

I loved the sauce for the sprouts after they were done roasting.  It was spicy and salty and really good.  I would not have initially picked these flavor combinations but I see now why they work.

Please give this recipe a try, I think you will love it too!

Spicy Roasted Brussels Sprouts
adapted from White on Rice Couple & David Chang

 1 lb bunch of brussels sprouts
2 TBS of olive oil
1/4 tsp of salt and pepper

4 TBS of water
2 TBS of hot chili paste
1 TBS of oyster sauce
1 TBS of rice wine vinegar
2 TBS of fresh lime juice
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 TBS of packed dark brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 400degrees.  Rinse the sprouts with cold water, remove the most outer leaves and cut them in half.  Place on a sheet pan.  Sprinkle with olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Use your hands to mix well.  Then place each sprout, cut side down on the baking sheet.  Cook for 20 minutes, then flip the sprouts and cook for another 10 minutes.  While the sprouts are cooking, combine all the remaining ingredients.  Once the sprouts are done, place into a medium bowl and start by adding half the sauce.  Combine well and add more sauce if needed.  Garnish with fresh mint and serve.  Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I'm embarrassed to say this but I've never actually had brussel sprouts. You make them look remarkable good. I'll have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!