Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving 2.0

Today we are dining at my parent's house with my grandparents.  A few aunts, uncles, and cousins are coming over for dessert.  My Mom and I have been planning the menu together for a couple weeks and have been looking forward to spending the day in the kitchen together too! 

For our "pre-game" my Mom made a family favorite, Ellen's Dip and I made my roasted red pepper dip.  Ellen's dip is a recipe from one of my Grandfather's co-workers back in the 70's.  It sounds alittle odd but it is gone quickly once it is put out with some pita chips.

1/2 cup of light mayo
1/2 cup of parmesean
14oz can of artichoke hearts
1 onion roughly chopped
1/2 cup of sliced jalapenos or pepperochini

Combine in the food processor until chunky.  Put in an oven safe serving dish and bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  Enjoy!




For the main event my Mom bought a fresh organic turkey.  It was delicous!  She put lemons, fresh herbs, and celery in the cavity.  She then poured a couple cups of apple cider in the pan and cavity to make some incredible gravy.  My grandmother brought Blue Hubbard squash with maple syrup.  It just isn't Thanksgiving without it.  Another must in my family is my Great-Grandmother's Cranberry Salad. 

1/2 bag of fresh cranberries
1/3 cup of chopped walnuts
1 peeled navel oranges
1/2 cup of chopped celery
1/2 cup of crushed pineapple
1 package of cranberry-raspberry salad
1/2 cup of sugar
Combine cranberries, walnuts, oranges, celery, and pineapple in the food processor.  Add is 1 cup of boiling water.  In a serving dish, combine Jello with boiling water, stir until dissolved, and add in sugar.  Add the fruit mixture .  Let set-up in the refridgerator.  Enjoy!

My contribution to the meal was Anne Burrel's Sage, Apple, and Walnut Stuffing.  It was great.  We did substitute turkey sausage but next time I will go for the real deal.  Everyone had at least two servings, sounds like a success to me! Brussels Sprouts Lardon were the star vegetable.  My father who is not a huge Brussel Sprout fan said that we could use the recipe to cook grass and it would still taste good! 



For dessert my Mom made a deep dish apple pie, with you guessed it Spy apples! 



My husband made his Grandmother's Lemon Meringue Pie.  I know it isn't your typical Thanksgiving dessert but we all love it so much!  The recipe she used came from the back of the Cream Corn Starch box.  Isn't that always the case, good food from a simple recipe that one makes their own. 



We had a great Thanksgiving with our familes.  Two meals spent with those we care about most!

1 comment:

  1. nothing better than that cranberry sauce it just wouldn't be thanksgiving with out it

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!