Monday, November 23, 2009

Sunday dinner...11-22

A couple we have known since college came to dinner.  They share our love for good food and wine.  They even socked some venison away in our freezer.  Thanks guys! 

We started the evening with a dip tray.  I wanted to try out these dairy-free dips to see if they would work as appetizers when we are with my family for Thanksgiving.


The first is a white bean dip from The Food You Crave.  it was good but we all agreed it needed something.  More lemon juice, some fresh chives, something!  I would try it again though. 


The other is a roasted red pepper dip of my own creation.  We all loved this one, especially with the garlic crostini.


2 red bell peppers sliced
2 TBS of olive oil
1 tsp each of kosher salt and cracked black pepper
1/2 cup of toasted walnuts
1 TBS of roasted garlic
2 TBS of olive oil
Roast the pepper with 2 TBS of oil, salt, and pepper at 400degrees for 45-50 minutes.  Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until desired texture is achieved.

For dinner we enjoyed Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta Cheese.  This is another Ellie Krieger creation.  I served it with brown rice to which I added garlic and fresh spinach.  Of course our veggie staple, roasted asparagus appeared too!  I don't think you can come to my house for dinner and not have aspargus.  Everyone who has, raise your hand!



It was a great evening with great company and good food.  We tried a new wine too that I found in this month's Food & Wine, Heron Pinot Noir.  It was also available in my local grocery store.  Check it out!  I think it would go very well with Thanksgiving dinner.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!