Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Kebabs!!

Recently a patient gave me a subscription to Cooks Illustrated.  Once I started reading, I was completely hooked.  I couldn't stop.  I loved the tone of the writing, the way they walk you through their experimentation with each dish, and the recipes.  It was a GREAT gift and I was so excited to cook my first recipe from the October 2010 issue.



We love kebabs, authentic kebabs.  We are not talking about the mixed skewers you see at gathering or in the meat counter's cases.  I am referring to moist, charred chunks of meat served with vegetables that were given equal attention.

The recipe does produce moist, flavorful meat and a great charred vegetable.  It does however not live up to my expectation of Middle Eastern flavors.  Good nonetheless!


I have included the marinade recipe below.  I will say though that picking up the magazine should be on your to do list!, like now

Lemon and Rosemary Marinade
adapted from Cooks Illustrated

1 medium onion, roughly chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tsp of lemon zest
2 TBS of fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
1/3 cup of beef broth
1/3 cup of vegetable oil
3 TBS of tomato paste
2 tsp of salt
11/2 tsp of sugar
3/4 tsp of fresh cracked black pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth, about 45-60 seconds.  Use to marinate meat for 30 minutes to 2 hours and vegetables for 30 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!