Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Moroccan Chicken Stew

After visiting a Moroccan restaurant in our area I have been intrigued by the flavors.  The preserved lemons, the depth of flavor, and the extremely tender meat.  I don't have a tangine but thought my slow cooker could do well as a stand in.  This recipe is what emerged.  Please note that I REALLY wanted to add some green olives but they are on the do not eat list in my house.  Bummer!


Moroccan Chicken Stew

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 small onion, chopped
3 small zucchini, chopped
1/2 cup of white wine
1 TBS of cumin
1/2 TBS of cardamom
1 tsp of ground ginger
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of ground black pepper
1 tsp of olive oil
2 lemons, sliced

Combine all the ingredients in a slow cooker, being sure to mix well.  Place lemons on top.  Cook for 8-10 hours.  Serve over couscous.  Enjoy!

This dish is very lean.  It was missing something though, not sure what.  I think that it would have been much much better if I had used a mixture of white and dark meat.  I also think the olives would have been fantastic in it.  Let me know what you think...

2 comments:

  1. The chicken looks good, did it fall apart or did you tear it like pulled pork? I wouldn't use olives (ever...in anything!)but how about capers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It fell apart. Capers are a great idea, except you know who hates those too! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!