Sunday, January 8, 2012

Winter Chicken Soup

Each new year comes an increased resolve in my house to focus on healthy eating. For us that means low sodium, lots of vegetables and lean protein. We're not perfect and I would be lying if I didn't confess that our favorite pizza place still makes an occasional delivery. Nonetheless we try and I find great joy in preparing a healthy meal that is still delicious.

Tonight we enjoyed this Winter Chicken Soup. It was healthy and left both of us completely satisfied.



I was lucky to have some leftover chicken breast carcasses so that I could make stock. Homemade stock is one of those things this is amazing to have if you have the time. However I'm not so naive as to think that it is possible all the time.

Another two ingredients that have been appearing more lately are kale and no sodium added canned tomatoes. Both add tons of nutrients and flavor.



I hope your family enjoys this soup as much as my husband and I did.

Winter Chicken Soup

2 TBS of olive oil
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
4 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of fresh cracked black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 26oz box of no-sodium chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 cups of shredded chicken
5 cups of chicken stock (homemade or low-sodium)
6oz of egg noodles
4 cups of kale, chopped

In a large stockpot over medium, heat the olive oil. Add the onions, celery and carrots with salt and pepper. Cook for 5-8 minutes until the soft. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes and chicken, be sure to combine well and then simmer for 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken broth, bring to a simmer and hold for 30 minutes. Add the egg noodles and kale then stir well. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Serve with a piece of crusty bread. Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. I am sorry to have missed that Sunday night dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm, it's been getting cold around here, this looks like the perfect thing!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!