Sunday, January 9, 2011

Roasted Tomato and Black Bean Soup

Well, my brother and sister-in-law provided me with a very necessary kitchen gadget, an immersion blender.  This item was added to my wish list after I doused my kitchen with tortilla soup.  I used my blender to puree and let's just say it didn't work!  What a nightmare!  Anyway, I was VERY excited about this present!


My husband's sister's family graced my cookbook collection with Ellie Krieger's So Easy.  I never get tired of reading new ways to inject our menu with healthy options.


The combination of these two gifts immediately drew me into this recipe for Roasted Tomato and Black Bean soup.  It combines great Tex-Mex flavors.  I served mine over some diced chicken to make it more filling as a main dish.  Roasting the tomatoes, onions, and garlic gives the soup fantastic flavor and honestly is there a dish that isn't improved with the addition of cumin?


Roasted Tomato and Black Bean Soup
adapted from Ellie Krieger's So Easy

7 tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, smashed
3 TBS of olive oil
1 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of black pepper
5 cups of low sodium chicken broth
2- 15oz cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 tsp of cumin
1 tsp of ancho chili powder
1 tsp of chipotle chili powder
1 TBS of hot sauce
1/4 cup of nonfat Greek yogurt
3 TBS of fresh cilantro, chopped

Combine 2 TBS of olive oil with the tomatoes, onion, garlic, 1/2 tsp of salt, and 1/4 tsp of black pepper on a baking sheet.  Roast at 400degrees for about 35 minutes until the tomatoes have collapsed a bit.  In a large pot heat the remaining 1 TBS of oil over medium high heat.  Add in the chicken broth, beans, cumin, chili powders, and hot sauce.  Bring to a simmer and then add the roasted vegetables.  Add in the remaining 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of black pepper.  Turn off the heat.  Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.  Garnish each serving with 2 tsp of Greek yogurt and 1 tsp of cilantro.  Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. It's been so cold here lately, a soup sounds absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh, an immersion blender is definitely on my list. i love this soup, ellie krieger has such great recipes!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!