Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Ponderings



Today we shared our Thanksgiving dinner with two close friends.  To be honest though I felt like I shared it with some many more, women of my past and present.

As I was washing the last of the dishes this evening it came to me...

I made a Lemon Meringue Pie just as my husband's grandmother would have Thanksgiving morning.

I set the table with same dishes my father's mother used.

I washed, trussed, and stuffed my turkey with lemons, herbs, and garlic just like my mother does.

I cleaned and polished the silverware that my great aunt made shine.

I made sure there was ample squash just as my mother's mother does.

I prepared a classic sage and onion stuffing reminiscent of my mother in-law's.

Then, as I washed the dishes I realized I ended my Thanksgiving Day just as my grandmother would have.   I may have never cooked a meal with some of these women and some I cook with on a regular basis but I will forever think of each one every year when it comes time to prepare my Thanksgiving dinner.

This love of food is so much more than enjoying a great meal.  It is about showing love to those around you and remembering the influential people of your past.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Just stumbled on your blog and am so glad I did. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz,
    It was a joy to read your sweet words to go along with your Thanksgiving day dinner. It makes my heart happy to feel the "love that is shed abroad from your heart".
    Love you, Liz!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!