Saturday, October 2, 2010

Chicago!

I recently returned home from a trip to Chicago for my brother's wedding.  The wedding was fantastic but before we get to that I need to tell you about some spots you must visit in Chicago!


The Purple Pig.  I knew I would love this place before we sat down or even glanced at a menu.  The tag line is cheese, swine, and wine.  Honestly what more does a girl need!  They had my husband's favorite beer, Gulden Draak, on tap so he was happy too!

We had a great meal.  We tried about 15 dishes but I will pass on our table favorites.  When you go, which you have to, order these.  Don't forget!

Mortadella, Balsamico & Pistachio
Deviled Egg with Arugula & Caper Berries
Roasted Bone Marrow with Herbs
Milk Braised Pork Shoulder with Mashed Potatoes
Panino con Nutella


My parents hosted the rehearsal dinner at Carmine's.  They planned a perfect meal.  In my eyes the highlights were the Baked Clam appetizer (the sauce was to die for), Skirt Steak Velasco (with a jalapeño and garlic sauce), and the creme brulee cheesecake.  Honestly though we had a great time getting to know the bride's family and being all together.  What brings people together better than good food and wine!



The wedding was held at Promontory Point.  The ceremony and reception completely reflected my brother and his bride.  It was just what they wanted and it was perfect.  The theme of bicycles with a simple bird was played throughout.  I am amazed how they tied everything together.  




The menu included passed hors d'oeuvres and small sandwich bites.  I had too many of all of them but here some of my favorites!

 Hoisin Chicken Canapes on Rice Cracker
Petite Seafood Ceviche with Avocado Puree in Toasted Tortilla Cups
Asian Barbeque Grilled Beef on a Red Pepper Gougeres Carribean Papaya and Sweet Red Pepper
Pulled Pork Slider on Brioche with Caramelized Onions
and for something sweet a Red Velvet cupcake!

It was great trip to celebrate the start of a new life for two amazing people whom I love dearly!  The food was pretty amazing too!

I am glad to be home and have lots of recipes to share so keep checking back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!