Saturday, October 16, 2010

Asparagus Leek Soup


I was completely inspired by this recipe from Giada De Laurentiis.  It looked easy and combined some of my three favorite foods!  I found myself so happy to get started making this. 

The outcome was great.  The best part I thought was that no one flavor stands apart but each one compliments the other.  Really good!

Asparagus Leek Soup
inspired by Giada De Laurentiis

3 TBS of olive oil
3 large leeks, sliced
1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed and chopped
1 shallot, sliced
1/2 tsp of salt and pepper
3 cups of vegetable broth, low sodium
2oz of goat cheese, room temperature
2 TBS of fresh basil, chopped 

Fill your sink with cold water.  Add the leeks and wash well to remove the sand from between the layers.  Drain and place onto a kitchen towel to dry.  Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.  Add the leeks and salt.  Sauté for 3 minutes, then add in the shallot, asparagus, and pepper.  Sauté for 3-5 minutes until the asparagus is right in color and tender.  Add the broth, bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.  Turn off the heat.  In small batches, pulse the soup in a food processor until you get a slightly chunky but even texture.  Return to a sauce pan and gently simmer for another 15 minutes.  In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese and basil.  Shape into 4 small balls.  Pour soup into individual soup bowls and garnish with goat cheese in the center.  Enjoy!






4 comments:

  1. This soup looks like heaven to me. I love the colors and textures. I can only imagine how good it tastes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to be able to pull out the soup recipes now that cooler days are here. This sounds delish! And it's a great picture along with the new pictures for your header :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made it tonight and it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great combination of flavors!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!