Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Peach Cobbler


Do you own a copy of the Silver Palate?  This is a serious question!  If you don't, put it on your wish list, order from Amazon, or at least check it out of the library.  I have not made a single recipe from it that disappointed me.  It is true American fare.  

A dear friend and her family recently visited.  They came bearing gifts.  A basket brimming with peaches and a plant.  As soon as I laid eyes on that basket, I knew I was going to make a cobbler.  I opened my copy of the Silver Palate first.  They have a recipe, done!

It was so good.  The lemon zest and almond extract add a layer of flavor that enhances the peaches beautifully.  I didn't serve it with whipped cream and honestly I didn't miss it.  The cobbler stands alone so well!

Peach Cobbler
adapted from the Silver Palate

8 cups of peaches, peeled and sliced
11/3 cup of sugar plus 4 TBS
2 tsp of lemon zest
Juice of one lemon
3/4 tsp of almond extract
3 cups of flour
2 TBS of baking powder
1 tsp of salt
2/3 cup of shortening
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup of low-fat milk

Place the peaches in a greased 9"x13" baking dish.  In a small bowl, combine the 1 1/3cup of sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and almond extract.  Sprinkle this over the peaches.  Bake at 400degrees for 20minutes.  In the bowl of a mixer, combine the flour, 2 TBS of sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Add the shortening and combine until the mixture looks like cornmeal.  Add in the eggs and milk.  Stir until just combined.  Once the peaches are done, remove from the oven and drop the dough by large spoonfuls over the peaches.  Sprinkle the remaining 2 TBS of sugar over the top.  Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve warm and enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. If only we could have been there to enjoy it with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. peach cobbler sounds so good right now. i love how the top looks crunchy! mmmm. i bet it's so soft inside though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used this recipe for years and love it. I was at a vacation home without the recipe and wanted to make it. I found yours; you saved the day for me. I like to use the Fluffy Biscuit or Shortcake Dough from Joy of Cooking for the top.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!