Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Eggplant Crostini


When I saw this post on Smitten Kitchen, I knew I had to make it.  I didn't have a choice...honestly!  I love eggplant and the ingredient list really caught my attention.  I had visions that this recipe would become part of my entertaining go-to dishes.  It is a great.  The bite from the feta cheese and garlic really illuminate the eggplant, bring it to life.  I made a few adjustments, so I included my version below.  I hope you will make this next time you have guests coming over.


Eggplant Crostini
adapted from Smitten Kitchen

2 medium eggplant, cut into 1" cubes
3 TBS of olive oil
salt and pepper
4 scallions, sliced
4oz of reduced fat Feta cheese
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 TBS of red wine vinegar
1 small baguette, sliced
1 garlic clove, peeled and halved

Preheat the oven to 400degrees.  Using 1 TBS of olive oil, grease a large baking sheet.  Place the eggplant in one layer on the prepared baking sheet and toss with the remaining 2 TBS of olive oil, 1 tsp of salt and pepper.  Bake for 30 minutes, turning a couple times.  In a medium bowl, combine the scallions, Feta, garlic, and vinegar.  Once the eggplant are done, remove from the oven, and let it stand for a few minutes.  Place the baguette slices on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 6 minutes.  Once done, rub each crostini with a sliced garlic clove.  Using a masher, roughly mash the eggplant and then add to the Feta mixture.  Combine well and add a few turns of fresh cracked black pepper.  Serve with the crostini alongside.  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!