Wednesday, July 7, 2010

CEiMB....not really!


I know most of my friends are making this amazing Pesto Potato Salad this week for CEiMB.  I had the potatoes.  I had the basil to make some pesto.  I was ready!  Then I collapsed to this desire that comes every summer to make these potatoes.  My grandmother and father made them all through my childhood.  We would refer to them as Foil Potatoes.  They are not difficult to make.  They do not use extravagant ingredients.  But when cooked to perfection....burnt on the edges....they are simply fantastic.

So sorry that I didn't make the Pesto Potato Salad but I really did enjoy these Foil Potatoes!

Foil Potatoes

4 russet potatoes, scrubbed and sliced
1 small Vidalia onion, sliced
2 TBS butter, diced
2 TBS olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper

This recipe makes two packets of potatoes.  You will need 4 pieces of aluminum foil.  Pour 1 TBS of olive oil over two pieces of aluminum foil.  Line the potatoes in the middle of the foil.  Top with half of the onion slices, salt and pepper.  Dot with 1 TBS of diced butter.  Top with aluminum foil and seal the edges.  Repeat with the other 2 pieces of foil and second half of the ingredients.  Place on the grill over medium heat.  Be sure to move them around and flip over, this will increase the area of the potatoes that are charred!  They will take about 20-25 minutes to cook.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I made the Ellie potatoes (post tomorrow) and they were really good. That said, I like your potatoes as well...we call them campfire potatoes as that is how we always cooked them: over a campfire when we were camping as kids, now my kids make them. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I haven't made these in years (Cub scouts about 12 years ago. Ah, Memories. May have to try these again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom makes a similar recipe, and we call them potato boats! So delicious and easy! If you are a fan of pesto, especially if you already have the basil on hand, I definitely recommend the pesto even if not served on potatoes :) Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!