Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Irish Supper

This was my first attempt at making a classic Irish supper.  My grandmother always cooked this meal when I was growing up.  I can't explain exactly how it tasted but I know there are happy memories surrounding this meal.

I decided to cook a round roast in brine rather than buying a corned beef.  All the additives were not appealing.  After reviewing a bunch of recipes, I settled on my brine ingredient list.  This meal would not be complete without cabbage that has a hint of vinegar and horseradish potatoes.  Pour a Guinness and we are all set!

The meal came out pretty well for a first attempt.  The meat could have used a bit more pepper.  The cabbage was soft and delicious.  The potatoes were my favorite part....they always are for this meal!


Corned Beef and Cabbage in the slow cooker

3 lb eye round roast
water
2 tsp of salt
5 whole black peppercorns
4 whole cloves
2 TBS of brown sugar
3 TBS of champagne vinegar
1 tsp of ground allspice
1/2 tsp of cardamom
1/2 tsp of ground mustard
2 bay leaves
1 head of white cabbage

Combine salt, peppercorns, cloves, brown sugar, vinegar, allspice, cardamom, mustard, and bay leaves in the bowl of a large slow cooker.  Add roughly 4 cups of water and stir to combine.  Add the roast and cabbage, make sure everything is mostly submersed in the brining liquid.  Cook on low for 8-10 hours.  Slice the corned beef very thin and serve on top of the cabbage.  Enjoy!

Horseradish Potatoes

1 lb of small white potatoes
3 TBS of olive oil
1/4 cup of horseradish
1/2 tsp of salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine all the ingredients in a Ziploc bag and shake well.  Pour contents onto a small sheet pan.  Bake for 45 minutes.  Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. Bravo Liz, I thought that your cabbage would be mush after so long.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!