Saturday, March 27, 2010

Easy Marinara

We hosted a potluck of sorts for 6 people from our church at few nights ago.  I was responsible for the main dish.  A vegetable, starch, side, and dessert were all being taken care of.  This is actually made chosing a main dish a little difficult mostly because I had no idea what anyone else was bringing.  After some discussion I settled on a grilled Turkey Parmigiana.  Since it such a simple dish I decided to use really fantastic ingredients.  I bought an amazing free range turkey breast which I sliced into cutlets.  I made a marinara sauce using San Marzano tomatoes.  Then topped the dish with fresh mozzarella cheese and fresh basil.  It came out well and was simple.  I especially liked the marinara sauce.


Easy Marinara Sauce

3 TBS of olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup of red wine, whatever you like
1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes
11/4 tsp of dried oregano
2 28oz cans of whole San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand
salt and pepper with each step

In a medium sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the onions and a bit of salt.  Cook for 5 minutes gently.  Then add the garlic and cook for 3 minutes more.  Add the wine and reduce by half.  At this point salt again then add the pepper flakes, black pepper, and oregano.  Slowly add the tomatoes, crushing them into the pan.  Bring to a bubble and reduce to a simmer.  Be sure to check the seasonings.  Let this simmer for at least 1 1/2 hours.  Use on everything!  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Just last week I was looking online for a great marinara sauce and nothing jumped out...so thank you Liz! I can't wait to try this one! Erin

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!