Saturday, February 27, 2010

Slow Cooker #3- Salsa Verde Pork

We have someone staying with us this weekend, who happen to arrive before either one of us were home from work yesterday.  I thought since we were not here to welcome her, my slow cooker would have to step up to the challenge.

This recipe was inspired by one at Eating Well.  I love Salsa Verde and pork so I thought it was a win-win combination.  The recipe calls to cook the pork in water and the sauce separately...What!?  My perspective is why would I cook the pork in water when all this great flavor was to be had.  So I altered things a bit.  It came out great.  The pork was crazy tender and the sauce was really good.  This is not a super spicy dish so it works great for company or when you are not sure of people's spicy preference.  It is a crowd pleaser though.  My husband especially enjoyed it....let's just say there are not as many leftovers as I was hoping for.  :)


Salsa Verde Pork

3 lb pork loin roast or tenderloin
1 small jar of Salsa Verde
1 1/2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp of ground cumin
1 tsp of black pepper
1/2 tsp of salt
1 small onion, thinly sliced
3 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 TBS of olive oil
3 TBS of cilantro

Place pork in slow cooker.  Add all remaining ingredients except the cilantro.  Cook for 8-10 hours.  Remove pork roast (carefully it will want to fall apart) and cover tightly with foil.  Place sauce into a medium pot and bring to a simmer for about 30 minutes until it thickens.  Shred the pork.  Serve pork with sauce over the top, garnished with cilantro.  Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Did you serve squash with that? It looks beautiful. I'll let you know how mine comes out.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!