Sunday, November 15, 2009

Weekend in the Shenandoah Valley

We decided that even though this weekend did not provide the best weather forecast that a weekend in the woods was just what we needed.  My husband did all the planning and prep work for this trip, which means he also planned the menu.  It was so kind all the work he put into this weekend away!

We arrived late Friday evening and decided that getting to camp in time to cook wasn't a real option.  So, we stopped for dinner at Skyland.  We had a great dinner that was the perfect, hearty meal before a weekend in the woods.  I had a classic Turkey platter and my husband enjoyed a chicken dish with fresh vegatables and rice pilaf.  

After a cold, rainy night's sleep we woke up Satuday morning to cloudy weather...



We made a quick breakfast of oatmeal, apples with peanut butter, and coffee made with our french press.  We set off for a day of hiking the Appalachian Trail hoping to earn our dinner.  My husband had planned a feast for us!  He had my favorite Cabot cheese with lavosh to start with a great glass of red wine, Gladiator Cycles Pinot Noir.  He prepared sirloin skewers with red pepper and Yukon potatoes with onions and garlic cooked in foil. 



I cannot tell you how amazing the food was after a night of being cold and a day of hiking.  I really think that food cooked over an open flame just tastes better, especially when someone you care for made it!

Luckily this morning when we woke the weather was much better.  We made another quick breakfast with coffee.  We headed down Skyline Drive to enjoy some spectaculur views before heading home.



I hope you found some adventures this weekend.  Stay tuned for my Sunday Dinner post...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!