Saturday, October 24, 2009

Apple Cake

Let me start this post with a couple points of reference...

1. My mother has been making this recipe forever, since I was too young to remember.  She got the recipe from a woman who had a son just my age and they were close.  They have grown apart but I know my Mom thinks of her everytime she makes this great recipe.  Isn't it cool how part of our story is told through the dishes we share and make.

2. I made this last Sunday and we went through it pretty quick.  My husband was working late and came home after I had gone to bed.  The apple cake however was downstairs and still warm.  Is anyone shocked that a rather large piece was missing in the morning.  Once in bed my husband rolled over and said, " Liz, you know that apple cake you made? Don't ever make it again!"  Now, this was said in jest but also to the point that it is too good to resist!

So, make this when friends are coming over or something...


Apple Cake

2 eggs
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg (my addition)
1/2 tsp salt
4 lg apples peeled and sliced thin
3/4 cup vegatable oil
1 tsp vanilla

Sift together the dry ingredients, set aside. Beat the eggs until fluffy.  While whisking add the oil and vanilla.  Slowly add in the sugar.  Add the dry ingredients, it will be very hard to stir in the last bit but don't worry. Stir in the apples.  Transfer to a greased and floured 13x9 pan.  Bake at 350degrees for 55-60 min, when done an inserted toothpick will come out clean.  Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I was missing this until I got to the M&D's house last(two?) weekend and there was one there it was great maybe I'll make my own this weekend

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!