Sunday, September 4, 2011

Farmer's Market Catch-up

Well, we enjoyed a week of dishes using the fruits and vegetables that I collected a week ago at the Farmer's Market.  To be honest though, not a picture was taken.  It was a hectic week and I feel blessed that I got to make dinner as often as I did.  Aside from the salads there were two dishes that stood out and I felt even without a picture they were worth sharing!

The first comes from Aarti Sequeria of the Food Network.  Her recipe for Quinoa Tabbouleh is fantastic for summer...especially this time of year!  I love the combination of the tart lemons, sweet tomatoes, and earthy herbs.  Also, the twist of using quinoa makes this a great protein packed salad.  I actually enjoyed it for lunch a couple times this past week.

The next is a summer dessert that you have to try before peaches disappear.  This recipe is a perfect example of why fresh local produce is best.  When you enjoy in-season produce is usually taste more how you hope a peach, tomato, or bell pepper would taste.  One of my favorite pairings for peaches are almonds.  I think they balance each other out.  So, before going to a friends house for dinner I put this recipe together...in literally less than 5 minutes.

Baked Peaches with Almonds

3 peaches, halved and cored
3 TBS of slivered almonds
2 TBS of unsalted butter
3 TBS of light brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 350degrees.  Using 1/2 TBS of the butter to grease a baking dish, either an 8" round or square.  Arrange the peaches in the dish with the cut side facing up.  In a small bowl, cream together the brown sugar and remaining butter.  Once combined, stir in the almonds.  Place 1 TBS of the almond mixture into each of the peaches (where the core used to be).  Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes.  Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes.  Place one peach in a small bowl with 1/2 cup of vanilla ice cream, if you choose. Drizzle each peach with some of the sauce in the bottom of the baking dish.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, I definitely want to try that peach dish out before the good peaches are gone!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!