Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Strawberries with Mint over Meringues


Somehow as soon as the weather starts to break into spring desserts with berries start coming from my kitchen.  It just happens and it makes me happy!

I used this recipe for my meringues.  Make them one time and you will realize that they are not so scary.


Since strawberries are not exactly in season I wanted to macerate them in some fresh flavors to draw out their natural sweetness.  Mint and Cointreau were choices.  I thought that this pairing was perfect!!  It will definitely be a recipe I turn to time after time.

Strawberries with Mint

2 quarts of strawberries, washed and sliced
2 TBS of Cointreau
2 TBS of mint simple syrup *
2 TBS of fresh mint, chopped

Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl.  This should sit on the counter top for at least one hour or in the refrigerator for 6  hours.  Pour over your favorite dessert, mine is hands down a meringue!  Enjoy!

*Combine 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of water, and 1 cup of fresh mint leaves in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil and simmer until the sugar has dissolved.  Turn off the heat.  Cool and then strain out the mint leaves.  Place in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for tea, lemonade, or strawberries.  Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. i've always wanted to try meringues, this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!