Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Best Roast Chicken



I know I recently posted a whole chicken recipe that I raved about.  Please understand that I adored that recipe.  However, this one ranks higher for me.  It is a more classic recipe.  To be honest with you, my husband and I argued over the leftovers.

Especially the croutons...


Butterflying the chicken and the cooking time make this a weekend meal.  That is unless you have much more time during the week than I seem to find.  I am thrilled to find the time for this post!


I am aware that this is not a pretty dish.  It's appearance is not what makes it amazing.  The smell that fills your kitchen is intense.  The incredibly moist chicken will bring a smile to your face.  The croutons will make you sigh.  

I've taken this too far.  

Make this for your family.  They will love you for it, I promise!

Best Roast Chicken

1 4lb Whole Chicken, butterflied with backbone and breast bone removed
2 TBS of Dijon mustard
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of black pepper
1/2 tsp of dried thyme leaves
4 TBS of olive oil
1 bulb of fennel, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 petite loaf of French bread, cubed

In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, lemon juice, salt, pepper, thyme, and olive oil.  Set aside.  Spray a small roasting pan or large baking dish with nonstick spray.  Add the bread, onion, and fennel then combine well.  Lay the chicken over the top of the bread and vegetables.  Pour the marinade over the chicken.  Be sure some is on both sides and under the skin.  Let this sit for about 1 hour.  Preheat the oven to 325degrees.  Cook for about 90minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast reads 160degrees.  Remove from the oven and tent lightly while it rests for 10 minutes.  Slice and serve chicken with roasted vegetables and croutons.   There will be a great Au jus on the bottom of the pan, don't let it go to waste.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!