Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Back home and a recipe to share



I just recently returned home from the Outer Banks in NC.  We traveled there to have a vacation with my husband's family.  It was a week full of time with family and plenty of food.  One evening we noticed that fish were jumping out of the water very close to the shore.  Upon further inspection it was decided that they were bluefish and they were running!  Those of us who fish found this VERY exciting.  For the next hour or so I watched my family pull fish after fish from the ocean.


Keeping only the largest few, we were about to dine on fresh bluefish.  My husband and his brother worked to prepare the fish.  They cleaned them well.  They needed a coating and improvised with crushed croûtons.  They fillets were quickly pan-seared and served.  Fantastic!  I loved watching my family have so much fun fishing and the pride in the eyes as they enjoyed the fruits of their labor.


One ingredient that made multiple appearances on our menu was the black bean.  We had this particular salad a couple times, it goes really well with burgers or grilled chicken.  It fit everyone's palate and I promised I would pass it along!



Black Bean Salad

2 15oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 red onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
2 avocado, diced
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
1 lime
1 tsp of chipotle powder
1/4 cup of olive oil
1/2 tsp of salt and pepper

In a large bowl, combine the black beans, onion, pepper, avocado, and cilantro.  In a small bowl add the zest and juice (4 TBS) of one lime.  Stir in the chipotle powder, salt, and pepper.  Whisk in the olive oil.  Pour over the salad and stir well.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Liz,

    Tried to email you about CEiMB, but haven't received an answer yet probably because you were on vacation. Could you please email me your pick for September 23rd (plus pagenumber and bookname)as soon as possible at cravingellieinmybelly@gmail.com?

    Thanks!
    Marthe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz! I'll be making this tomorrow!
    Hope you are doing well.
    Love you! Erin

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!