Sunday, June 6, 2010

Lager Beans

My husband tells me I have a problem with canned tomatoes and beans.  He said that is borderline crazy how many fill our cupboards.  My response is that with these two items you have so many dishes at your finger tips.

These Lager Beans are just more support for my argument.  With just a few typical pantry and produce items you have a great side dish.  I loved them and he seemed too!  I served them with barbecue chicken and spinach salad with avocado.  So good!


Lager Beans

1 small onion, finely diced
1 green bell pepper, finely diced
2 TBS canola oil
1 tsp ground chipotle pepper
1 tsp cumin
2 15oz cans of pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup of lager
2 TBS of cilantro
salt

In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the onions, peppers, and 1/4 tsp of salt.  Cook for about 10 minutes until soft.  Add the chipotle pepper and cumin and cook for another 2 minutes.  Add the beans and combine well.  Then add the lager.  While stirring it is OK if some of the beans get smashed.  This will help to thicken the dish and improve the consistency.  Add the cilantro and another 1/4 tsp of salt.  Garnish with a bit of cilantro.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. These sound really good! I'm a big fan of beans but my boyfriend isn't always thrilled with them - I think once he hears there is beer in them, he'll be much happier :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love beans... and this is such an interesting idea with the lager... certainly goes excellent with barbeque... cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!