Thursday, March 11, 2010

Braised Cabbage

I saw a recipe for braised cabbage on 5 Ingredient Fix a few days ago.  I loved the idea of this as I find cabbage to be tough but I really enjoy the flavor.  Braising sounded like the answer...and it was.  I changed the recipe quite a bit, really just using the cooking method.  It was the perfect pairing to pork tenderloin and roasted cauliflower.


Braised Red Cabbage

1 small onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 TBS of olive oil
1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
1 small head of red cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup of low sodium chicken broth

Heat the oil over medium heat in a medium pan.  Add the onion, garlic, and 1/2 tsp of salt.  Cook until soft, add the vinegar.  Reduce for 3-5 minutes.  Add the cabbage and another 1/2 tsp of salt.  Stir to combine and then add the chicken broth.  Bring up to a simmer.  Stir occasionally and cook for 30-40 minutes.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!