Saturday, February 20, 2010

Peanut butter oat bran cookies

I need to confess, I am obsessed with oat bran.  It is way better than oatmeal.  I use Hodgson Mill brand and have it at least 3 mornings a week for breakfast.  I have always noticed the recipes on the back of the box but never ventured from my normal hot oat bran with agave nectar and dried cranberries.  Yesterday was my day.  When picking up the box in the grocery store, I saw the recipe for peanut butter oat bran cookies.  Since we were having some friends over and I was invited to lunch at a friend's house today, I thought these cookies might be the perfect thing to fit both those plans.  They are super nutty and crisp.  The recipe uses melted butter.  Next time I might try creaming room temperature butter to make them more chewy.  It is a very good recipe and a great way to add oat bran to your pantry.



Peanut butter oat bran cookies
adapted from Hodgson Mill

1/2 cup of unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup of light brown sugar
2 egg whites
1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter
1/2 tsp of vanilla
1 cup of unbleached flour
1 1/2 cup of oat bran cereal
3/4 tsp of baking powder
1/4 tsp of baking soda

Preheat oven to 350degrees.  Combine flour, oat bran, baking soda, 1/4 tsp of salt, and baking powder with a whisk.  Mix butter and sugars together.  Add in egg whites and mix well.  Add in peanut butter and vanilla, beat until smooth.  Add in dry ingredients being sure everything is incorporated.  Drop onto a ungreased cookie sheet, using about one tsp per cookies.  Make criss-cross pattern on top of each cookie with a fork.  Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.  Makes about 36 cookies.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!