Sunday, January 31, 2010

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

This recipe is from the Silver Palate Cookbook.  This book was recommended by so many people, when I first started cooking a number of years ago, as a must-have.  I have NEVER been disappointed with a recipe I have tried and go to it first when planning a menu.  This Banana Bread recipe is one of my favorites.  It uses a mix of all-purpose and whole wheat flour which gives it great flavor.  The recipe calls for walnuts but I think the chocolate chips add so much more. 


Banana Bread
from the Silver Palate Cookbook

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp of kosher salt
3/4 cup of chocolate chips
1 stick of unsalted butter, at room tempature
3/4 cup of sugar
2 eggs, at room tempature
1 tsp of vanilla extract
3 ripe bananas, mashed *

Whisk the flours, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips together in a small bowl.  In a large bowl, beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.  Then add one egg at a time, combine well before adding the next.  Add the vanilla extract and bananas.  Mix in the flour mixture slowly.  Pour into either a large loaf pan or 8"x8" pan, greased.  Bake at 350degrees for 50-60 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.  Enjoy!

*When bananas in my house get too ripe, I peel them and toss them into the freezer in a ziploc bag.  When I want to make this bread I simply pull out the number I need.  Once they are thawed I am ready to go!



1 comment:

  1. I recently used this recipe and baked the bread in a 8x8cake dish. NO choc. chips but I took some heat for a tiny bit of glaze!!! Delish!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, especially if you tried any of the recipes. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your insight!